Wednesday 19 April 2017

Proudly Igbo

Igbo kwenu!
Igbo Kwenu!
Anambra Kwenu!
Nnewi Kwezuonuooooo!

I am a proud Igbo girl. I am proud of the language, the culture, the traditions and the history. My parents tried their best to bring us up to embrace who we are and where we come from. I am proud to see young Igbo boys and girls agitating to go back to traditions and learn our history. There is nothing to be ashamed of  in who we are, where we come from, our history, religion and way of life. In as much as I love everything Igbo, there are many facets of the culture, religion and language that I do not know and I am open to learn about. The first question that I want to pose to those who would be kind enough to have a non-biased discussion is on the issue of ‘Umu Nna’.
I heard that the ‘Umu Nna’ are central to us as Igbos. They are our kindreds, those who stand for their own, fight for their own, support their own and are there in all celebrations -happy or sad. My questions thus is ‘can we do without them’?
I mean, Umu Nna that is not supportive and that does not do anything for their own, is that one an Umu nna? The constant hatred, gossiping, backbiting, plotting, scheming, killing and just pure wickedness cannot be normal within the Umu Nna! Some of you may be lucky that you have amazing umu nna. However, not everyone does.
Now that we are in the year 2017, can we do without negative Umu Nna? Some of us are so disconnected from these people, we have nothing in common and are strangers basically. Some friends are more family than blood and that would be my next post.
Please do share your knowledge and wisdom on this. What is the use of Umu Nna if they are spiteful and not on your side? Sometimes, some relationships cannot be repaired, so what do you do if one does not want any relationship with these people?

This paper was submitted by LS.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting topic. I would say, cut off everything that is of no benefit to you, anything that suppresses and limits you and that includes the 'umu nna'.

    ReplyDelete